Video Poker is one of the most popular casino games and has various popular versions such as Jacks or Better, Deuces Wild, and Joker Poker. Although they are almost similar to one another, there are some minor adjustments made on each that differentiates them. In this article, we’ll be talking about Joker Poker. JungleRaja brings you the basic rules on how to play and share some catchy strategies that can help improve your game play.
Joker Wild Poker
Joker Poker, a popular variation of Video Poker, is also known as Joker Wild Poker. What differentiates this game from other versions like Jacks or Better, is the presence of an extra card. This additional card turns the standard 52 deck of cards into 53 due to which some of the game rules are slightly different as compared to other versions. In this version, a pair of Kings is the lowest hand you are capable of winning with which is one of the differences you can notice. The best thing about this card is that to create a better hand for you, it can replace any of the other cards. The Wild Joker card in place can help you to have more chances of landing a stronger poker hand, and hopefully a winning hand.
Joker Poker Rules
The rules of Joker Poker are pretty much the same as other Video Poker games. Pace your bet and select the number of hands you would like to play at a time and then select the Deal button. Then you will be dealt five cards among which you need to decide which ones (if any) you would like to replace. After that, you can select Draw, and you’ll get new ones from the dealer. If you don’t have any cards that you would like to get rid of, you can keep them all by pressing the Hold button. If you play more than one hand at a time, each hand will be counted individually. Always check out the paytables before hand as a majority of the payouts for Joker Poker typically starts with a pair of Kings that varies depending on the casino you’re playing at.
Below are the rankings of poker hands starting from lowest to highest that you’ll find on most of the pay tables:
- Pair of Jacks or Higher – for example, having two Queens.
- Two Pair – two cards with the same rank. For example, two 10s.
- Three of a Kind – Three cards with the same rank. Such as three 5s.
- Straight – a hand with consecutive cards. For example, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
- Flush – where all cards have the same suit, such as hearts, clubs, diamonds, or spades
- Full House – a pair of cards as well as a three of a kind. For example, three Ks and two 10s.
- Poker – four cards with the same rank. Such as four Qs.
- Straight Flush – a hand that is both a straight and a flush. For example, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 all having the same suit.
- Royal Flush – five cards with the same suit starting from 10 to Ace
Joker Poker Strategies
The strategies for joker poker are quite straightforward, but it’s essential to use a good Joker Poker strategy to make wise decisions and not to waste your bets. So go ahead and learn some of the basic strategies given below. The strategies have been divided into two different groups. The first group is for hands that include a Joker, and the other is for situations where you have not been dealt a joker.
- How to play your cards if you are dealt a Joker:
- Discard any one card if not a part of any of these combinations – four cards to a flush, four cards to a straight flush, four cards to a straight, four of a kind, and four cards to a royal flush.
- Discard any two cards that do not makeup one of these hand combinations – straight Flush or three of a kind.
Keep the Joker and discard the rest for any other hands not mentioned above.
- How to play your cards if you are NOT dealt a Joker:
- With three cards to a straight, flush, straight flush or royal Flush, discard the remaining two.
- Discard the 5th card if you are ever dealt four cards to a straight, flush, straight flush or a royal flush.
- If dealt three of a kind, discard the other two cards.
- If dealt a four of a kind, discard the 5th.
- Discard the 5th card if you receive two pairs from having a chance to land a full house.
- Discard the remaining three cards if you ever receive two cards to a royal flush, two cards to a straight flush, or a pair.
Make sure you discard all the cards for any other hands that are not mentioned above.
So now that you are aware of the basic rules and strategies of Joker Poker try them out now to make that win possible.